I am very fond of Gujarati dishes, one such dish which is very much liked by me and my family is Handvo or Ondhwa. This is a baked savoury cake made with combination of rice with lentils and vegetables. This is very healthy and ideal for breakfast. Even my daughter who rarely eats anything apart from bread for breakfast, enjoyed this a lot. This recipe is from my dear friend Meghana's blog.
I have used store bought Handvo flour for this, but this should not be confused with readymade Handvo mix.
Those who cannot get this flour, look out my notes at the bottom of this post.
Handvo Flour- 2 Cups
Grated Bottlegourd- 2 Cups
Fenugreek Leaves- 2/3 Cup (Chopped)
Corn- 1/4 Cup
Onion- 2 Medium Sized (Chopped)
Ginger-1 1/2 Inch Piece and Green Chillies- 2 ( Make a paste out of it)
Jaggery- 1 Tbsp
Turmeric- 1 Tsp
Red Chilli Powder- 1/2 Tsp
Salt- To Taste
Yoghurt- 1/2 Cup (Well Beaten)
Canola Oil- 2 Tbsp
Baking Soda- 1/2 Tsp
Mustard Seeds- 1 Tsp
Cumin Seeds- 1/2 Tsp
Whole Red Chillies- 2
Asafoetida- A Pinch
Sesame Seeds- 1Tsp + 3 Tbsp for sprinkling on top
- In a mixing bowl mix together all the ingredients except baking soda and tempering. Make a medium consistency batter with some water and let the batter rest overnight.
- In the morning check seasoning and consistency, if required add little more water.
- Preheat the oven at 190 Degree C. Grease a baking dish with oil and keep aside.
- Prepare the tempering by heating oil in a pan. After the oil gets hot add in asafoetida, mustard seeds and cumin seeds, once they splutter add in red chillies and 1 Tsp of sesame seed.
- Mix this tempering with the batter and now add in baking soda. Mix well.
- Pour this batter in the baking dish and sprinkle generously with sesame seeds.
- Place in the pre heated oven and bake for about 45- 50 minutes. Bake until the corners turn slight brown and a toothpick inserted should come out clean.
- Now broil for another 5 minutes to get a crispy crust.
- Remove the dish from the oven and let it cool for around 15 minutes before cutting into slices.
Serve warm with green chutney and/or ketchup.
- These can be made vegan as well by omitting yoghurt and adding vegan buttermilk and juice of 1 lime.
- Those who cannot get handvo flour can use this combination instead- 1 Cup of rice + 1/4 Cup- Pigeon peas+2 Tbsp- split bengal gram +2 tbsp- split green gram +1Tbsp -split black gram. Soak the rice and lentils overnight and grind them in a smooth batter in the morning using little water. Now mix other given ingredients except tempering and soda. Add little water in the batter if required. Now keep this mix for about an hour and proceed as per point 3 in the procedure written above.
Sending this to my own event Veggie/ Fruit A Month- Bottlegourd which was started by Priya of Mharo Rajastan.